This episode with Resiliency Expert, Cheryl Hunter, is one of my all-time favorite episodes. It moved me in an extraordinarily meaningful way.
When Cheryl was living abroad at the age of 18, she was abducted, beaten, sexually assaulted and held captive for several days. Now, she’s devoted her life to helping other people overcome immense challenges. She’s been featured in Forbes, The Huffington Post, Fast Company, CNN and has presented multiple TED Talks that will move you to tears.
But this conversation with Cheryl is far from sad or upsetting; it’s one of the most inspirational and freeing interviews that I’ve had on this show, and I know you’ll leave feeling peace and resiliency too.
We talk about things like how her experience of being abducted shaped the rest of her life’s path, as well as how to find the beauty and joy WHILE experiencing pain (rather than only after the struggle is over). Cheryl also shares her unique resiliency framework and the key strategies that can help us overcome anything. This episode will make you laugh, tear up, find the beauty in the struggle, but most of all, it’ll inch you closer to who you really are.
Check out the episode below:
In this episode, you’ll hear about things like…
- Cheryl’s “silent hell” that she endured and how looking for the “open doors” helped her move forward.
- Why hoping for a safe, uneventful life is no way to live (and how to find joy in your struggles as they’re happening).
- How we can surrender to the future and what Cheryl considers to be the deepest calling of our souls.
- What happens to us when we experience something traumatic (and why you haven’t been able to fully recover, years later).
- How Cheryl uses her Proven Practices List in her daily life (and you can, too).
- Cheryl’s strategies to practice vulnerability with your community and create authentic connections that don’t feel “icky.”
Again, I can’t tell you how much I loved this interview with Cheryl. I’m actually co-working with a friend today in Los Angeles and I told him he had to listen to this one. He did, and the whole time we’ve been working, he’s been turning to me saying, “WOW, this part is so good.” Trust me, this episode is a must-listen. It will change you and make you think about your life and challenges in new, expansive ways.
Links from the interview:
- Cheryl’s Website
- Cheryl’s Coaching Program, Break Free Formula* (email firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Melyssa for a free gift upon enrolling!)
- Cheryl’s TEDx Talk, The Magnificence of Imperfection
What do you think?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this episode. Did Cheryl’s story resonate for you? What have you overcome recently, in business or in life? Leave a comment below and let’s chat. 🙂
Here’s how to subscribe + review
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released? Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Also, podcast reviews are pretty darn important to iTunes and the more reviews we receive, the more likely we’ll be able to get this podcast and message in front of more people (something about iTunes algorithms?). I’d be extremely grateful if you left a review right here letting me know your favorite part of this episode.
Loving the podcast? I encourage you to use the hashtag #PursuitWithPurpose to show our PWP tribe how you live your purpose everyday. Plus, you’ll get to sift through the hashtag to find other business owners who care about community and connectedness over competition and comparison. And I’ll be reposting some of my favorite images and stories, too. 🙂
Thank you for listening!