Tune In to the Episode: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher
Has anyone ever told you that you’re “too sensitive” or to “stop overthinking everything,” particularly by people who strike you as a little bit too insensitive or who you believe might benefit from some more thinking?
Well, you may be what is known as a “highly sensitive person,” or HSP.
Being HSP doesn’t mean you have a diagnosable condition, it’s a personality trait shared by just 20% of the population that involves increased responsiveness to both positive and negative influences. HSPs process experiences, thoughts, and feelings more deeply than non-HSPs — and with all that processing, overwhelm can happen more easily.
We can all feel overstimulated from time to time, but for HSPs it’s a way of life. And sometimes that can feel lonely, frustrating, and full of shame.
… But it doesn’t have to!
In this episode Brooke Nielsen, therapist, writer, speaker and founder of the Therapeutic Center for Highly Sensitive People, discusses what it means to be a HSP and how to appreciate the unique strengths that come along with this trait.
Whether you’re a Highly Sensitive Person or think you might know someone who is, you’ll leave this episode with a deeper understanding of your emotions, empathy and the power that comes from understanding yourself. It’s a really good one!
“When you’re hiding a part of yourself, you take that everywhere.”
Listen to the episode below:
This episode discusses topics like…
- What is an “HSP” and how many people are born with this genetic trait?
- De-stigmatizing the negativity around being an HSP and why it’s so liberating to do so.
- What trauma really is, and the role that it plays in the lives of HSPs.
- Why just focusing on your mindset and positive thinking isn’t enough to overcome trauma.
- Best practices for setting energetic boundaries as an HSP.
- What to be aware of an HSP in a relationship, and how to educate your partner in the right way.
- How to run a successful business as an HSP.
Links from the episode:
- Brooke’s Website
- Brooke’s Instagram
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.
- The Highly Sensitive Person in Love by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D
- Follow me (Melyssa Griffin) on Instagram for honest conversations about alignment, abundance, and my life.
- Follow the Limitless Life™ Podcast on Instagram for new episode releases and wisdom on how to live a life with no limits.
How to subscribe + review:
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released?
Also, podcast reviews are pretty darn important to the iTunes algorithm and the more reviews we receive, the more likely we’ll be able to get this podcast and message in front of more people. I’d be extremely grateful if you left a review right here letting me know your favorite part of this episode.
Share on social?
Did this episode help you expand what’s possible for your life or business? Do you think your social media followers may learn something, too? I’d be forever grateful if you shared it on social media. 🙂 If you do, tag @melyssa_griffin so I can repost you! Woohoo!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this episode.
Do you have experience as or with a Highly Sensitive Person?
Thank you SO much for being here, sweet friend. I’m honored to walk this journey with you. See you in the next episode!