Are you ready to start your own successful and profitable business? Today’s guest is Dorie Clark, an amazing woman you definitely want to get to know. Dorie is unlike most people. She started college at age 14 and graduated at 18 (!), and then went on to hold a bunch of different positions: non-profit executive, political campaign spokeswoman and even documentary filmmaker, to name a few.
For the past decade, Dorie’s been running her own marketing and consulting business, and she’s also authored several books including Stand Out (which was named the #1 leadership book of 2015 by Inc.), Reinventing You and her latest book, Entrepreneurial You.
In this thought-provoking conversation, Dorie and I talk about things like what it was like growing up as an LGBT person, as well as how she reinvented herself with so many different careers and why it’s pretty likely you’re probably overthinking your first business. 😉 She also reveals the steps and tactics to take if you want to start your own company.
Check out the episode below:
In this episode, you’ll hear about things like…
- The right way to use a personal brand (and a convincing case for creating one in the first place).
- What we should be doing to reframe success and failure.
- The common threads Dorie believes tied each of her unique careers together – and which two celebrities she wanted to be a combination of.
- How to build your brand from the ground up, even if you don’t have a strong network starting out (hint: you have to play the long game).
- Email list sizes and what size list Dorie believes you need to have for success.
- The challenges Dorie faced when she launched her business 11 years ago, and the dramatic shifts she’s made along the way.
Links from the interview:
- Dorie’s Website
- Dorie’s 88 Question Self-Assessment
- Dorie’s Book, Stand Out
- Dorie’s Book, Reinventing You
- Dorie’s Book, Entrepreneurial You
- Todd Herman
- Jason Van Orden
- Michael Stelzner
- Jenny Blake
- Pursuit With Purpose: Episode 1 with Melyssa Griffin
What do you think?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this episode. Do you feel like you’ve been overthinking your business? Leave a comment below and let’s chat. 🙂
Here’s how to subscribe + review
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released? Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Also, podcast reviews are pretty darn important to iTunes and the more reviews we receive, the more likely we’ll be able to get this podcast and message in front of more people (something about iTunes algorithms?). I’d be extremely grateful if you left a review right here letting me know your favorite part of this episode.
Loving the podcast? I encourage you to use the hashtag #PursuitWithPurpose to show our PWP tribe how you live your purpose everyday. Plus, you’ll get to sift through the hashtag to find other business owners who care about community and connectedness over competition and comparison. And I’ll be reposting some of my favorite images and stories, too. 🙂
Thank you for listening!