Several years ago when I was first starting my business and going through a period of depression and boredom, I bought a book called The Happiness Project that changed my life in a very meaningful way. It was almost like reading the diary of a friend who spent an entire year trying to find the keys to massive joy and contentment. And my friends, I’m so excited to introduce the author of that book with you today: the amazing Gretchen Rubin!
In this episode, we’re talking about Gretchen’s latest book, The Four Tendencies. She found that people tend to belong to one of “four tendencies,” or personality types, when following habits and sticking to routines. As you’ll hear, each tendency excels at habits in a different way, and knowing your tendency can help you live a more joyful and consistent life (and help others in your life do the same). Can you guess which “tendency” I am? (You’ll find out in the interview!)
Gretchen has authored several books, including the New York Times best sellers Better Than Before and Happier at Home. She also co-hosts an award-winning weekly podcast with her sister Elizabeth, called Happier with Gretchen Rubin. Fast Company added Gretchen to their list of most creative people in business and she’s even a member of Oprah’s coveted “SuperSoul 100.”
If you want to finally figure out how to keep your habits and develop new ones, this episode is for you.
Check out the episode below:
In this episode, you’ll hear about things like…
- What inspired Gretchen to move into the self-help space (or as she calls it, “self-helpful”)!
- How Gretchen accidentally stumbled on the framework for her latest book.
- A detailed low-down on each of the four tendencies and where they come from (including which one I am!).
- The 7 essential areas where people want to change their habits.
- How you can use your tendency to improve your relationships.
- The habit Gretchen implemented that’s had the biggest impact in her own life.
Some Questions I ask…
1. How does knowing our tendency help us create stronger habits?
2. Which tendency are you? How has it shown up in our life?
3. How can knowing the tendencies of other people in our lives, like romantic partners, family members, or friends help us create a stronger relationship with them?
Links from the interview:
- Gretchen’s Website
- Gretchen’s Books
- Gretchen’s Podcast, Happier with Gretchen Rubin
- Gretchen on Facebook (she hosts a Facebook Live every Monday!)
- Gretchen on Twitter
- Gretchen on LinkedIn
- The Four Tendencies Quiz
- Better App
- Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It, by Gary Taubes
What do you think?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this episode. After taking Gretchen’s free Four Tendencies quiz, leave a comment below and fill me in. Which tendency are you? 🙂
Here’s how to subscribe + review
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released? Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Also, podcast reviews are pretty darn important to iTunes and the more reviews we receive, the more likely we’ll be able to get this podcast and message in front of more people (something about iTunes algorithms?). I’d be extremely grateful if you left a review right here letting me know your favorite part of this episode.
Loving the podcast? I encourage you to use the hashtag #PursuitWithPurpose to show our PWP tribe how you live your purpose everyday. Plus, you’ll get to sift through the hashtag to find other business owners who care about community and connectedness over competition and comparison. And I’ll be reposting some of my favorite images and stories, too. 🙂
Thank you for listening!